Sunday, October 2, 2011

We are making progress!!

We have made some great progress the last couple of weeks. We are all up and running and learning to keyboard. Katie also came in and taught the kids how to use the stylus and tablet. The kids were begging me to learn this so of course they loved it. The only problem we really had is that when you laid the screen flat the picture didn't turn so you had to turn the computer upside down. IT will work on this for us. I am excited that kids have learned this so now we can start doing journaling on them as soon as keyboarding is complete. I didn't want them to do it yet since they are still drawing a lot of pictures in their journals and they still need to learn correct keyboarding skills.  Now we have a way that they can make their pictures and write.
I also found a computer that is not working correctly so we have sent it to IT to be fixed.
I have figured out an easier way to plug in the computers. We have "odds" plug in one day and then "evens" plug in the other day. This works really well because we are not using them enough so they don't need to be plugged in everyday and when they are not plugged in they fit nicely into the kid's desks.
The next thing I want to kids to learn is Audacity. It is the equivalent to Garage Band for the PC. Katie will be in coming in a couple of weeks to help the kids learn this program then I will be having them record themselves reading. This should help a lot with fluency.
I am so excited about these computers- I have so many ideas and keep learning more about how the kids can use them in class. Now we need to get through keyboarding and try to find the time to implement all the activities :) Good times ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment